Hummus is a staple in our house. I make a batch nearly every week and use it as a spread or dip.
This recipe makes a tangy and creamy hummus without the use of any oil. Oil is very high in calories and low in nutrients, so I don’t add it to any of my recipes.
I recommend cooking your own chickpeas from scratch. Freshly cooked tastes much better than from a can. Canned chickpeas are still fine, but nothing beats fresh cooked chickpeas.
- 500g cooked chickpeas (2 x 400g cans, drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup (125g) lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons (75g) tahini
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave
- Finely grated zest of ½ lemon
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Place all ingredients into food processor (start with 2 tablespoons of the water). Blend until smooth.
- Add a little more of water if necessary to create a smooth consistency.
- Continue blending until completely smooth (or to your desired consistency). This could take a few minutes, depending on the power of your food processor.
- Place all ingredients into Thermomix bowl (start with 2 tablespoons of the water). Blend 3 minutes/speed 4.
- Scrape down sides. Add a little more water if necessary to create a smooth consistency. Blend 1 minute/speed 9, or until to desired consistency.