These Thai stuffed sweet potatoes are a really simple meal. And they are so tasty. I love the combination of coriander, spring onion and peanut sauce.
The baked sweet potato is soft and sweet, while the carrot, capsicum, spring onion and coriander add flavour and crunch.
The peanut sauce is gingery, creamy and sweet. It’s really simple to make and only takes a minute in a blender. (Or a Thermomix – details below).
You can pre-bake the sweet potatoes so at meal time it only requires reheating (I recommend reheating in the microwave). The veggies don’t take long to chop up, making it a quick meal. If you pre-bake your potatoes, this meal will only take about 15 minutes to prepare. (You can reheat in the oven, but it will probably take longer than 15 minutes by the time you wait for the oven to heat up).
If you don’t have any sweet potatoes on hand (and sometimes they aren’t cheap), you can use regular potatoes instead.
- 1-2 medium sweet potatoes per person
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- ¼ cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 spring onions, finely diced
- 12 (⅓ cup or 60g) dried dates
- ½ cup (125ml) boiling water
- 2 tablespoons (40g) natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2cm piece ginger, peeled
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Scrub the potatoes. Prick on both sides with a sharp knife and a place on a lined baking tray. Bake for about 1 hour, or until a skewer goes through the centre easily. Cooking time will depend on the size of your sweet potatoes. Larger sweet potatoes may take 1.5 hours.
- To make the sauce, soak the dates in the boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Place the dates, their soaking water and remaining dressing ingredients into a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Place the cooked sweet potatoes onto serving plates and allow to cool a little.
- Cut through the centre of each sweet potato lengthways. Top each sweet potato with vegetables and drizzle with dressing.
I use a julienne peeler to 'grate' my carrots.
Sauce Thermomix Instructions:
- Place the dates and the boiling water into the Thermomix bowl and stand for 10 minutes to soften the dates.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients and blend 1 minute/speed 10.