Red Lentil Dhal
Recipe Type: Main
Cuisine: Indian, Gluten Free, Oil Free, Vegan
- 1 brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (or 1 teaspoon dried ground ginger)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 4 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock (or water)
- 1 ½ cups (300g) dried red lentils
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste (if not using vegetable stock)
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro), to serve (optional)
- Finely dice onion and crush the garlic. Place in a large saucepan with two tablespoons of water. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add a tablespoon of water at a time as the water evaporates to keep the onion from sticking.
- Add dried spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add stock (or water) and red lentils. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, stirring regularly, for 15-20 minutes, until lentils are soft and the dhal is thick. Add salt to taste (if using).
- Serve with cooked brown rice and fresh coriander.
You can also serve this over steamed potatoes or jacket baked potatoes.[br]You can add some veggies to your dhal during cooking – diced carrots, finely diced celery, baby spinach. (Add the baby spinach at the end of cooking time).
- Place the onion, ginger and garlic into the Thermomix bowl. Chop 3 seconds/speed 6. Add 2 tablespoons water and cook 5 minutes/100oC/speed 1.
- Add spices and two tablespoons water cook 2 minutes/100oC/speed 1.
- Add red lentils, vegetable stock (or water) and salt (if using) and cook 20 minutes/100oC/reverse/speed 1.5/.
- Serve warm with cooked brown rice and garnished with fresh coriander.