Overnight oats are really quick and easy to make (no cooking required!).
You just mix together all the ingredients, and the oats soak up the liquid, making a creamy soft breakfast (or dessert) the next day.
I make up a big batch to last me a few days. When we’re travelling and have to leave home early I store the overnight oats in individual airtight containers, so we can eat it on the road.
My kids love to eat overnight oats for breakfast. In our home the only packaged cereal we buy is Weet-bix, so overnight oats is a popular alternative for them. It’s also cheap to make, and doesn’t take heaps of preparation time.
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- ⅔ cup low fat soy or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- To serve!
- Sliced banana or other fruit
- Fresh or frozen berries
- Place the oats, plant milk, vanilla, maple syrup and chia seeds in a small container or jar (that has a lid) and stir to combine. Place the the fridge 8 hours or overnight to thicken.
- In the morning, top with desired toppings and serve.