This is a super simple dish with only a few components – roasted vegetables, quinoa, lemon juice and parsley (and some vegetable stock to roast the veggies and cook the quinoa).
Roasted vegetables would have to be one of my favourite foods. In this recipe I roast them without the use of any oil. Leaving out the oil reduces the calories in this dish by 320 calories (the equivalent of 1 can of coke and 1 kit kat bar combined). I use vegetables stock to roast my veggies instead of oil (instructions are in the recipe below). I choose a salt-reduced vegetable stock (Campbells is my favourite brand).
This salad is a great make-ahead dish. You can take it to work for lunch or to a put luck or a picnic. If you take it to work for lunch I recommed adding a side of baby spinach leaves and some cooked red kidney beans or chickpeas.
If you don’t like zucchini (or any of the other veggies in the recipe) you can replace them with other vegetables suitable for roasting such as sweet potato, pumpkin, eggplant, mushroom, beetroot and cauliflower.
- 1 large red capsicum, cut into 2 cm wide strips
- 2 carrots, cut into 3cm long sticks
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 zucchini, cut into chunks/rounds
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- ½ cup quinoa
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup (60g) lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the vegetables in a non-stick baking dish that has raised edges (or line a baking dish with baking/parchment paper). Add pepper (if using) and ¼ cup of the vegetable stock. Toss vegetables in the stock and spread evenly in the tray.
- Roast vegetables for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and add another ¼ cup vegetable stock. Toss gently and return to oven for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are just cooked (but not mushy). Place in a large bowl.
- Rinse quinoa well under running water. Place in a saucepan with remaining 1 cup of vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stand for 5 minutes without removing the lid. After 5 minutes, remove lid and fluff with fork.
- Combine vegetables, cooked quinoa, parsley and lemon juice and stir gently to combine.