This is one of my all time favourite meals. This is what I make when we have guests over for a meal. Meat eaters always love it too.
If you have all of the ingredients on hand this meal only takes 15 minutes to make.
You can make it in one of two ways:
The first way: Pre-cook all of the ingredients yourself from scratch (the brown rice, black beans and salsa) and keep them in the fridge or frezer until you need them (they freeze perfectly). The advantage of doing it this way is that it’s a little cheaper. I think it’s also a little tastier when you make your own food from scratch. (This homemade salsa is amazing).
The second way: You can buy all of the ingredients to keep on hand in your pantry (microwave brown rice in a packet, canned black beans and tomato salsa in a jar). Either way it makes a great meal. The advantage of having all the ingredients in your pantry is that you can cook it at any time. You can have super healthy and tasty meal put together in about 15 minutes. It’s quicker than ordering (or going out to get) a take away meal from a restaurant or fast food outlet.
If you have a little extra time you can also add some cashew sour cream to this meal (it takes about 10 minutes to make, plus it needs time to cool). It goes with this meal perfectly. The cashew sour cream will last a few days in the fridge so it’s a great recipe to make ahead of time if you’re organised.
You can also add all of these ingredients to a tortilla and turn it into a rice and bean burrito.
- 2 x 375g jars Tomato Salsa (or make your own)
- 450g packet mircowave brown rice (or 4 serves pre-cooked brown rice)
- 2 x 400g cans (or 3 cups cooked) black beans, warmed
- 400g can corn kernels, drained
- 2 finely diced tomatoes
- 2-3 cups shredded lettuce or baby spinach
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- ½ cup sliced black olives (optional)
- Fresh coriander, chopped (optional)
- Drain and rinse the black beans (if using canned), then heat in the microwave. Keep them warm while you heat the brown rice.
- Heat the brown rice according to the packet directions.
- Chop up the tomato, lettuce, red onion and avocado (as well as the coriander if using).
- To serve, divide each of the components amongst each dinner bowl: rice, warmed black beans, tomato salsa, and the remaining toppings.You can serve it as a stack with rice and beans at the bottom or individually around the bowl.