Ethiopian Chickpea Stew
Recipe Type: Stew
Cuisine: Ethiopian, Vegan, Oil free
- 1 large red or brown onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 500g/3 cups cooked (2 x 400g cans) chickpeas
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 large (450g) potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 2 ½ cups salt reduced vegetable stock
- 2-3 cups baby spinach or sliced spinach/silverbeet
- Salt, to taste
- Place the onion in a large saucepan with 2 tablespoons water and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion in soft.
- Add the garlic and all the spices with 2 tablespoons water and cook for 2 minutes. Mix in the tomato paste.
- Add the chickpeas, carrots, potatoes and vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the spinach and cook until the spinach is just wilted.
- Serve on its own or with cooked brown rice or a side salad.
I leave the skin on my potatoes, but you can peel them if you prefer. [br]If you are cooking your chickpeas from scratch, you will need 1 cup of dried chickpeas.