A delicious and moist vegan banana cake that is whole grain, oil free and sweetened with maple syrup.
This was a hit with my friends. They all said they couldn’t tell it was vegan.
It’s also really easy to make.
You can bake it as a cake, as per the recipe. Or you can make it into cupcakes. I used a silicone muffin tray and it made 16 cup cakes. I baked the cup cakes for 25 minutes.
Wholemeal spelt flour can be found near the regular flour in the supermarket. I bought the Mckenzie brand.
The soy milk I used was Vitasoy Soy Milky lite. It’s a low fat soy milk that is still creamy and has a good flavour.
I iced this cake with Dreena Burton’s chocolate sweet potato frosting. It’s made out of cooked sweet potato, unrefined coconut sugar, cocoa and cashew butter. I also add a little maple syrup to make it slightly sweeter.
Her frosting recipe makes a large amount, a little too much for this cake, so you could reduce the quantity if you wish. The recipe for the frosting I made can be found here:
- 1 ½ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- ¾ cup almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 1 ½ cups (450g) pureed very ripe banana (about 3 large bananas)
- ⅔ cup light soy milk
- ½ cup (150ml) pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Grease an 8 inch (20 cm) round cake pan by spraying with cooking oil. Place a circle of baking paper on the bottom to line.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Place the bananas into a blender and blend until smooth. Add the soy milk, maple syrup and vanilla and blend until combined. (If you don't have a blender you can use a stick blender or mash the banana very well with a fork).
- Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and fold until just combined (don't overmix).
- Pour batter into the cake pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.