If you’re looking for a healthy chocolate celebration cake this one is the best! It’s whole grain, vegan and oil free. Every time I make it people are surprised at how delicious it is. They’re also surprised that it contains no oil, butter, eggs or white flour.
I make this cake for each birthday celebration in our home. I even made it for my son’s 10th birthday cake.
P.S. This cake is much healthier than your average cake, but it’s still a celebration food. It’s high in calories, so it’s something we eat just a few times a year.
- 1 cup (250g) cooked and mashed orange sweet potato, cooled
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- ¼ cup (90g) pure maple syrup
- 3 teaspoons good quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- 1 cup whole-grain spelt flour
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup non-dairy chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
Chocolate Sweet Potato Icing
- ¾ cup (125g) unrefined coconut sugar
- 1 cup (250g) peeled, cooked and mashed sweet potato, cooled
- ½ cup (60g) cocoa powder
- ½ cup (125g) raw cashew or almond butter
- Pinch sea salt
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (optional, to taste)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Non-dairy milk (optional, to thin)
- Preheat the oven to 175℃ (350℉).
- Grease an 8 inch (20cm) round cake tin.
- Mix together flour, sugar, choc-chips, salt, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Place sweet potato, water, maple syrup, balsamic and vanilla into a food processor. Blend until smooth (Thermomix 10 seconds/speed 8).
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pour cake mixture into the tin and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until done.
- To make icing place the coconut sugar in a food processor and blend until fine (Thermomix 10 seconds/speed 10). Add remaining icing ingredients and blend until smooth. Add maple syrup to taste if you want the icing a bit sweeter. Add a little non-dairy milk if needed to make it blend and so it’s spreadable.
- Ice the top and sides of the cake when it’s cool.