These lentil patties are so tasty and simple to make. Canned lentils and pre-cooked brown rice makes them quick to make too.
My kids love them. They’re perfect for a summer barbecue, for the freezer, or in a burger.
You will need to pre-cook your rice in preparation for this dish. I like to keep some cooked brown rice in the freezer so I can make these burgers any time.
Yield: 8-10 patties
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 red onion, diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3⁄4 cup (75g) rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup (50g) walnuts
- 400g can brown lentils
- 1.5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- Drain and rinse the brown lentils.
- Place everything into a food processor and blend until just combined and coming together (don’t over mix).
- Form into 8-10 burgers.
- Fry patties over low-medium heat in a non-stick fry pan for 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and lightly browned. (Don’t lift or move the patties until the first 5 minutes is up or the burgers will break or fall apart.)
- To oven bake: Preheat oven to 180oC. Place on a baking paper-lined oven tray and bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned then flip and bake for a further 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned on the other side.