This fruit cake is easy to make and contains a few simple ingredients. It contains no butter, eggs, sugar or white flour. Yet the taste and texture is very similar to a traditional fruit cake. The dried fruit provides plenty of sweetness.
This cake is perfect for Christmas.
Healthy Vegan Fruit Cake
- 1 kg dried mixed fruit
- 3 cups fresh orange juice or low fat soy milk
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Grated zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place fruit into a large glass or ceramic mixing bowl. Pour over the orange juice (or soy milk) and stir to combine. Cover bowl and place into the fridge to soak overnight.
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line the base of a 22cm round cake pan with 2 layers of baking paper. Remove fruit from fridge and add the remaining ingredients, mixing until well combined. Spoon into pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes until cooked when tested with a skewer and lightly browned on top. Remove and cool completely in the pan.